Tuesday 21 February 2017

Review: All About Mia - Lisa Williamson

All About Mia by Lisa Williamson, published by David Fickling Books on 2nd February 2017

Goodreads synopsis:
From no. 1 Bestselling YA author Lisa Williamson, comes another insightful and unputdownable teen drama - All About Mia. A brilliant look into the mind of a teenager stuck in the middle.




Review:
‘All About Mia’ was a really fun and entertaining contemporary YA read. I finished it in one sitting because once I’d turned the first page, I was utterly absorbed into the story. I was surprised just how much I enjoyed it actually but I think it was exactly the sort of book I was looking for at the time.

The story is about three sisters and is narrated by middle-sister Mia. At the start of the book, her older sister Grace is coming home early from her gap year travels, while her younger sister Audrey is focused on school and swimming. Mia falls in the middle and this is precisely where she doesn’t want to be. She is the rebel of the family and is always the one pushing the limits with her mum and dad. She does stupid things and she can be pretty wild at times but as we get to know Mia we see that a lot of her behaviour is just a defence she puts up. She doesn’t always know where she fits in and what her niche is and this often causes problems, particularly with Grace who has always been the perfect daughter. 

I loved this book because the story was so relatable. I don’t have sisters but I do have two siblings and I am a middle child and while I can’t claim to be anything like Mia at all, I could identify with her in a lot of ways. Lisa Williamson’s writing and characterisations are spot on too and I really enjoyed seeing how the family dynamics changed and evolved in the book. 

Audrey was my favourite sister and I’m glad she got a bit more page time in the second half of the story. She is always trying to keep the peace between her older siblings and sometimes gets forgotten because she’s not always the loudest or the liveliest. I thought she was a very sweet character though and I liked her focus and determination.

A brilliant read about love and family and fitting in. I would highly recommend.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails